Revolution in Textiles: India’s Man-Made Fibre Sector Targets $11.4B by 2030

The Indian man-made fibre (MMF) textile industry is poised for significant growth, primarily driven by the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme and beneficial free trade agreements (FTAs) with countries like the United Arab Emirates and Australia. This sector’s expansion is forecasted to result in a 75% surge in exports, rising from approximately $6.5 billion in 2021-2022 to an impressive $11.4 billion by 2030​​​​​​​​​​​​.

India, currently the world’s second-largest manufacturer of MMF textiles after China, is leveraging its position to capitalize on this growth opportunity. The industry’s shift towards MMF is attributed to the natural growth constraints of cotton and other natural fibres. Notably, MMF accounts for a substantial 72% of the world’s textile fibre consumption, with natural fibres comprising the remaining 28%​​.

Key products contributing to this industry’s expansion include synthetic fiber-based curtains, drapes, interior blinds, bed valances, tents, and tarpaulins. These items are recognized as significant factors in driving the industry’s growth​​.

This anticipated growth is not without its challenges. Despite India maintaining a 3.4% share in the global MMF textile trade from 2016 to 2021, it faces competition from countries like Bangladesh, Turkey, Cambodia, Vietnam, Pakistan, and some African countries. These competitors enjoy duty-free access to major markets such as the European Union and the United States, while Indian products are subjected to duties ranging from 10-34%​​.

Mr. Bhadresh Dodhia, the head of the Synthetic & Rayon Textiles Export Promotion Council, highlights the environmental and sustainable advantages of MMF textiles. These textiles require less water compared to cotton, are more cost-effective, and allow for greater value addition. The increasing use of technical textiles, predominantly made of MMF, is also spurred by changing lifestyles and growing concerns about safety and health​​.

Furthermore, the industry aims to expand into new markets like Vietnam, Japan, China, and Poland, while strengthening its presence in existing markets such as the United States, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and Brazil, where India currently accounts for about 5% of MMF textile exports. This expansion plan includes increasing the capacity for filament braided (BRD) woven and knitted fabrics and enhancing the processing of man-made filament yarn BRD fabrics​​.

Overall, the strategic implementation of the PLI scheme and strengthened FTAs, coupled with the industry’s focus on eco-friendly and versatile MMF textiles, positions India for a significant leap in its textile export sector in the coming years.



Send Us A Message