LIC Granted Decade-Long Extension to Meet 25% Public Shareholding Norm

The extension granted to Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) by the Indian government, allowing it until 2032 to meet the 25% minimum public shareholding (MPS) requirement, is a significant development in the Indian financial landscape. This decision is primarily driven by the unique position and scale of LIC in the Indian economy, as well as the potential impact of such a large-scale public share offering on the market.

Background and Implications of the Extension

  • MPS Rule: The MPS rule mandates that listed entities with a market capitalization of over Rs 1 lakh crore must achieve a minimum 25% public shareholding within five years of their listing. Entities with a lower market capitalization are required to meet this threshold within a year of listing.
  • LIC’s IPO and Market Capitalization: LIC conducted the largest IPO in India’s capital market history, listing on the bourses on May 17, 2022. As of the latest reports, LIC has a market capitalization of Rs 4.84 lakh crore. The Government of India holds a 96.50% stake in LIC, leaving a mere 3.50% as public shareholding.
  • The Exemption and Its Rationale: The exemption granted to LIC is a one-time relaxation, considering the public interest and the exceptional size of the company. This extension allows the Government of India to maintain a stake of more than 75% in LIC for an additional eight to nine years, beyond the initial deadline of May 2027.

Financial Performance and Market Dynamics

  • Stock Performance: LIC’s shares have seen a notable recovery, gaining over 27% since the start of November 2023. The share closed at Rs 767 apiece on the announcement day, a substantial increase from its all-time low earlier in the year.
  • Strategic Movements: Notably, LIC has been active in the market, including its move to sell over 2% stake in Dixon Technologies India Limited. This reduced its share count significantly, reflecting a strategic approach to its investments and holdings.
  • Group Premium Decline: Despite the positive trajectory in share price, LIC’s group premium experienced a decline. In November, there was a 37.48% decrease in group premium to Rs 11,649.54 crore compared to the previous year, as reported by various sources.

Broader Economic Context

The decision to extend LIC’s deadline for achieving the MPS requirement can be seen in the context of the broader economic challenges and opportunities facing India. It reflects a balancing act between regulatory compliance and market stability, especially given LIC’s pivotal role in the Indian financial sector.



Send Us A Message